Your first week is free and this offers a great opportunity to see what running with our club is all about, without making any great initial commitment.
Before starting out though, there is a couple of things to you should consider:
- You should be medically fit for running. We don’t expect you to be at Olympic level fitness, but you should be comfortable jogging for a few minutes at a time. If you have any health concerns please speak to your GP beforehand.
- If you have any health problems which may affect you during your run (asthma etc), tell one of the committee members or your jog leader in confidence – it’s important for us to be aware so that we can do our best to ensure your safety, and enjoyment.
- Wear loose, comfortable clothing that is suitable for exercise
- If joining us during the dark winter evenings, high visibility clothing is recommended.
- Please wear suitable footwear – for your first sessions it’s not necessary to spend a lot of money, however proper running shoes are one of the best running investments you can make.
- Women should wear a suitable sports bra.
- We meet in the Reception Area of the Arc sports centre at Glasgow Caledonian University, usually from about half an hour before the run start time. Hopefully we’ll look like a group of runners. Make yourself known to us and someone will point you in the direction of the committee/jog leaders. If you can let us know beforehand, we can also look out for you.
- There are changing facilities and shower cubicles provided at the Arc gym, these cost £1 and lockers are a refundable £1
- There is an informal social scene after the runs, so you may be able to join other members for food/drink
- On a Thursday evening our runs are split into 3 or 4 groups dependant on ability and distance, to help our members meet their specific needs and personal running goals. Our trained Jog Leaders will work with all members and ensure that groups stay together and that everyone is supported at all levels of ability.
- For your first run, don’t be tempted to push yourself into a group which may be too advanced – again our jog leaders will guide you.